We have graduated 13 generations of students in this training course, which began in 2009. It provides a solid base to responsibly perform your role as an instructor in the teaching of Spanish as a Foreign Language (SFL) or Spanish as a Second Language (SSL), following a model that combines experience with the theories of recognized leaders in the field, and the use of teaching methods prescribed in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR): learning, teaching and evaluation.
If you wish to teach Spanish to foreigners as a second language, you must keep yourself up to date or start looking for other types of work. We invite you to enroll in this one-year program, taught on Fridays and Saturdays at the FUNDATEC Technology Transfer Center in Zapote.
The coordinator and program manager is María Gabriela Amador Solano. She has more than 20 years of experience in teaching SFL, and leads a team of other highly qualified instructors in this area. (see her publications).
For those interested in receiving training in this area, we also offer options for updating yourself:
1. Workshops throughout the year. Each education center can request updating workshops or participate in those we offer at different times of the year.
2. A 100% Virtual Academic Outreach Program for those with a minimum bachelor's degree in Education and professional experience.
3. Seminars with national and international guests: June and December of each year.
In 2017 we held our first International Congress of Spanish as a Foreign Language in the institution, in partnership with the Universidad de Costa Rica. See the following link.
- Provide training in modern methods and techniques for teaching Spanish as a second language and its relationships with culture and tourism.
- Contribute to improve the quality of education by providing updated knowledge through a communicative approach for teaching Spanish.
- Provide training in the use of information technologies for the construction of materials and design of Spanish as a second language classes.
- Integrate cultural elements into the SSL teaching process.
- Provide basic tools for the application of didactics in the teaching of second languages.
- Present different theories about the acquisition of a second language and their implications for the teaching process.
The Program for Technicians in Teaching Spanish as a Second Language is offered by the Tecnológico de Costa Rica, certified by its School of Language Sciences, signed by the respective authorities, and endorsed by Conare and the Civil Service.
This program is aimed at three segments:
1. Spanish teachers who work in this field but do not have an academic degree in the area.
2. Persons who want to be SSL teachers.
3. Professionals in different areas or disciplines who want to receive training in Spanish teaching, without pursuing a long-term career in this area.
Each block of two courses costs ₡165,240 (which includes materials, enrollment fee and value-added tax (VAT).
Dates for enrollment are scheduled from December 2019 to December 2020, so you only pay ₡82,620 colones (including VAT) at the end of the month. Classes begin in February 2020 but you must begin paying the enrollment fee for each course in December 2019.
1. Prices include the VAT, which is 2% of the enrollment fee.
2. Persons who do not pay before the deadline will be charged an additional 10% for enrollment / tuition? in the following course.
3. You must pay for the first course once the program coordinator confirms your admission. Please view the following video which will show you the necessary steps for using the online system to make the payment. CLICK HERE.
From September 1 to October 15, 2019 you will have time to fill out a form that will be available in this web page at the end of August. By filling out this form you will be applying to become enrolled in the Program for Technicians in Teaching Spanish as a Second Language. After the forms are reviewed, you will receive a reply in your e-mail on November 15, 2019 concerning your admission, and if you are accepted, you can begin to prepare yourself to start your studies in the following year.
Schedule for the year 2020:
||From January 31 to March 7, 2020.|
From March 13 to April 25, 2020.
Grammar: from May 02 to June 06,2020.
Phonetics: from May 8 to June 12, 2020.
Grammar: from June 13 to July 18, 2020.
Methods: from June 19 to July 21, 2020.
|Vacation||July 25 and August 6, 2020.|
Grammar: from August 08 to September 19, 2020.
Teaching kit: from August 07 to September 11, 2020.
Evaluation: from September 26 to October 31, 2020.
Cultural keys: from September 18 to October 23, 2020.
||From November 07 to December 12, 2020.|
Note: The teaching practicum is a graduation requirement. It will be carried out in January 2021. It consists of teaching a class to a group of classmates who represent foreign students. The class is supervised by the coordinator and an instructor, and must be paid for when it is carried out.
Graduation will be in March 2021, and in February 2021 students will have to pay approximately ₡35,000 colones to receive their diploma. It is mandatory to attend the graduation ceremony to receive the academic diploma; it can be received on a different date only in special cases, with prior justification.