It was declared national monument on December 11th 1985.
According to Thiel, the parish church was founded in 1570; it was some kind of ranch built by the Franciscan missioners.
The primitive church was built with mud bricks between 1575 and 1580; some maintenance work was performed between 1638 and 1640 by the governor back then, Mr. Gregorio Sandoval.
The church that we now know was built by the governor Gómez de Lara, this church was short and it had several rooms for those who went down to Ujarrás to be part of the Virgin festivities; the sealing of these kind of buildings was made out of dry mud pieces set in order.
The front of the church with Franciscan or Colonial style showed only one of the doors opened and wooden side doors with their respective doorknockers or latches.
On the upper part of the front gate it had a balcony with a handrail or banister used to ring the church bells.
It is also important to mention that the complex also consisted of a cemetery, convent and school.
The front of the complex has renaissance origin, probably inspired and influenced by the fronts of buildings such as Santa María Novella in 1456 or Alberti and Santa Trinidad in 1593 from Bontaleti. As it happens in a concern for proportions and geometry can be appreciated in the church.