This program trains professionals with critical, creative, negotiating and competitive skills, allowing them to work individually and in interdisciplinary teams.
Current development models and their impact on the environment and society are analyzed in this career. Alternative solutions to agroforestry and environmental problems are also proposed.
The career allows graduates to specify production strategies for plants which are important in agriculture and forestry. It also covers management of microorganisms, improvement of various biotechnological processes in industry using traditional or innovative techniques, and application of molecular techniques for the rational use and conservation of plant genetic resources.
In the field of molecular biology, students will be trained in nucleic acid manipulation, molecular diagnosis and genetic characterization techniques.
The bachelor’s degree program of Biotechnology Engineering has been accredited by the National System of Accreditation of Higher Education (Sinaes) since 2007.
Persons with innovative, entrepreneurial, competitive, negotiating, critical, research-oriented and environmentally responsible spirits. They must also be sensitive to social, environmental and ethical problems, and respect the environment and community idiosyncrasies.
Graduates will find employment opportunities in areas related to:
- Agricultural, forestry, industrial, animal and pharmaceutical production.
- Agronomic, biological, medical and biosafety research.
- Environmental protection and control.
- Molecular biology
- Highly specialized staff.
- Biotechnology Research Center.
- Excellent equipment for the application of advanced techniques.
- Appropriate bibliographic resources, databases, CD-ROM and specialized journals.
- Modern infrastructure and greenhouses.
- Properly equipped laboratories.
- Molecular biology techniques.
- Biotechnological evaluation of wastewater treatment plants.
- In-vitro culture techniques for plants.
- Conservation of genetic resources.
- Manipulation of microorganisms.
- Industrial microbiology.
- Biotechnological treatment of solid waste.
- Biotechnological production systems.